Permitting Procedures

Replacement Septic Systems

Alterations of Existing Septic Systems - When is an Alteration Permit Needed?
Alteration permits are needed when there is a change in the nature of influent waste strength, a change in system components, an expansion of the treatment system, and changes in the volume of daily design flow. Examples are adding an aeration tank to an existing leach field, a leach field to an existing system and adding bedrooms which increase design flow. They are not required when replacing like-for-like components such as pipe, risers and lids, adding a "T" to a tank or adding an inspection port.

New Construction Permits

  • TBA

Building/Zoning Approvals

When is a Building/Zoning Approval Needed?
Basic Evaluation of an Existing Sewage Treatment System applications are needed when a home is remaining from a lot split and for projects such as dwelling additions and remodels that increase the potential occupancy or footprint of the dwelling. Adding a garage, shed, accessory building, pond, pool, porch, deck, drive, hardscape, etc. and any lot excavation project require one also. Owners may request a trouble-shooting evaluation of their existing sewage treatment system through this program.

Sewer Connections

According to OAC Chapter 3701-29-06 (I) “A STS shall not be sited,
permitted, or installed where a sanitary sewerage system is accessible,
unless otherwise excepted by law. Whenever a sanitary sewerage system
becomes accessible to a dwelling or structure served by a STS, the dwelling
and/or structures shall be connected to the sanitary sewerage system and
the STS abandoned in accordance with rule 3701-29-21 of the Administrative Code.”

SCPH’s role when connecting a residence to sanitary sewer is to ensure the septic system becomes properly abandoned. The contractor connecting the home into the sewer can perform the abandonment. Once the system is abandoned, the following form must be submitted to SCPH with the appropriate abandonment fee:

Abandonment Report

For questions about sewer connection, including cost estimates and permits, please contact the local sewer authority that services your neighborhood:

Summit County Department of Environmental Services

City of Akron Utilities Business Office

Village of Richfield

City of Twinsburg

City of Barberton

City of Hudson

City of Cuyahoga Falls


Visit Us on Facebook                Follow Us on Twitter @SummitCoPubHlth 
                          Cell Phones for Soldiers Drop off site at Graham Road office            Poison Help Badge

Summit County Public Health • 1867 West Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44313 • (330) 923-4891 • (877) 687-0002 •  TTY 711 (711 instructions)
Site design by Kathy Coleman, Summit County Public Health
©2015 All rights reserved

Agency Plans/Reports Birth/Death Certificates Careers in Public Health Community Event Requests Fact Sheets Grants Infant Mortality Page Medical Reserve Corps Community Emergency Response Teams Quit Smoking Resources Recalls WENS Alert Emergency Preparedness Data Dashboards NAPH Form